Thursday, April 25, 2013

Vacitis

Vacatis - the condition of overwhelming confusion when planning vacation. Often followed by Vacapathy, when you just don't care any more

That's where I am now. Having spent at least 3 hours a day in the past 2 weeks or more online, on Pinterest, on my friends' last nerve, I now know how everyone else would spend their 14 day Orlando vacation. No idea, still, how I want to spend mine.

Groupon is usually more help, and hasn't entirely failed me this time. I have day fishing, night fishing, The Improv, painting pottery, and mini golf covered. A few meals planned using Restaurants.com discounts. However, Groupon is stumbling a bit and they aren't offering the sparkling activities I've enjoyed in the past. In fact last year I used Groupons to receive 4 different massage or body wrap sessions, and this year none appeal to me. And no matter how deep the discount, I'm not sky-diving, learning to pole dance, or swimming with manatees.

But this is Orlando and the past 3 visits we managed to ignore the Big Mouse and other attractions that have sprung up in his shadow. Water park? Dinner show? Epcot? Sea World? Aaarrggggg! I don't know! What if I pick the wrong one and waste all that time and money being somewhere when I should have been somewhere else?

It should be noted that, being from SoCal, I've been to them all at least once.

But one thing my travel companion and I have, strangely, agreed on. AMC has a Dine-In Theater at Downtown Disney. You order your meal from a full menu and eat it at the table in front of your theater seat! Now, true, we don't usually go to movies at home. The experience sounds a lot like watching television in the BarcaLounger with dinner on a TV tray. But it still sounds unique enough (or maybe, familiar enough) to appeal to us both. And I think we can still see "42", the Jackie Robinson movie

So there you go. Back to Vacapathy. I'm past looking at one more website, brochure, or Pin. Pack me up and ship me to Florida. I hear sun and palm trees are the antidote to my condition


2 comments:

  1. ha! never heard the official terminology, but I think I have had a case or 2 of Vacitis and Vacapathy before. thanks for the laugh!

    new reader here, and will be back to read more soon.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, MOV. Having returned from Florida, I'm now experiencing the post-vacation doldrums, and can't even think of a creative word to describe it. Would you like to help with that?

      As expected, the Dine-In Movie was a highlight, because I live in Kalamazoo and we aren't fancy like that here yet. Dessert was a bit of a challenge, as it was served when the lights went down and, having missed making a complete cut,I slapped my face with my maple waffle and took a big bite of nothing but whipped cream. Foof

      Delete